Curious about how the design process works? The particulars vary depending on project type, But here is a general outline of how a project might move:
Scope and Timeline
- Client and designer talk project scope, cost, goals.
- Contract is drawn up, signed, and payment schedule is arranged (usually in stages).
- What is the client looking for? What is particularly meaningful to the client for this project?
- Research. Inspiration board. If applicable (for instance, for a packaging solution): Who's the competition? How can we "speak the language", but say it in a more captivating way...and create a story that genuinely highlights the uniqueness of the product?
Sketching, writing, scribbling, circling
- Brainstorming, brain dump. Get all the awesome (and even not-as-awesome) ideas out on paper
- Look for connections between ideas
- Select the best concepts and refine/digitize
- Present to client, explaining design decisions and connecting them to project goals.
Refining and presenting
- Discuss revisions and refinements
- Refine and create: get closer to the solution. Re-present to client.
- Rinse and repeat
- Client and designer choose final direction
- Files are finalized, client gives final approval, final payment is made, and assets are delivered to client or sent to print/made live.